Information and background reading for Laundry to Landscape Lecture and Workshop.
On this page:
Laundry to Landscape Graywater Workshop
Tuesday June 15th
11 am to 4 pm
Geared towards professionals interested in installing greywater systems under California's new greywater standard
Sponsored by City of Santa Barbara and Goleta Water District
Cost: $30 registration fee, lunch included. Space is limited, register today!
Location: Residence in Santa Barbara. Exact address will be given with registration.
The workshop will consist of a mix of interactive discussion of what's in front of us and hands-on demonstrations/work on the land. Wear work clothes and bring gloves and shovels.
Most instruction will be in English, but Art has years of exposure to job site Spanish in the US and Mexico and can provide clarifications as needed in Spanish.
To register, please contact Alison Jordan at ajordan@SantaBarbaraCA.gov, or call (805) 564-5574.
The workshop will describe recent changes in Santa Barbara greywater policy and California state code that will open up the installation of simple, practical greywater installation to professionals as never before.
An entire Laundry to Landscape system will be installed at a residence in Santa Barbara, from start to finish. The workshop will include all the practical details on how to install Laundry to Landscape , the simplest, least expensive, lowest effort way to irrigate with residential greywater, and the most economically and ecologically viable to install professionally.
- Why greywater matters
- Changes in greywater standards at the local, and state level
- Streamlined permitting and compliance
- Site assessment; mapping, surveying elevations, perc test
- Advantages and issues with simple greywater systems
- Laundry to Landscape system; advantages and limitations
- Simple supply, emitter flow and soil loading calculations
- Systems design, parts, parts sources, how to estimate costs
- Sample system components show and tell
- Installation tips and tricks
- Mulch basins specifications for laundry
- Attendee design clinic: Bring a background site map, photos and site assessment from your own project for possible use in this clinic
- If time permits, we will discuss other system options and business suggestions
The more of the background info below you understand (or have been exposed to) before coming, the more you will get out of the workshop.
The following is worth reading all the way through:
- Laundry to Landscape (DVD)
- Laundry to Landscape
- Create an Oasis with Grey Water (book)
- City permitting information on Laundry to Mulch Basin systems
- Greywater Site Assessment/System Checklist (PDF)
- Common grey water mistakes
- Stub outs
This stuff will add more depth if you can scan or read any of it:
- Greywater Action
- Can a 4000 ft2 Home be Green?
- Previous Laundry to Landscape presentation
- Fruit tree chart(xls, PDF)
- Stub outs & collection plumbing checklist (PDF)
- Principles of Ecological Design (article)
- Eco Home Checklist (pdf)
- Water quality testing (download)
- SBCC sample water budget spreadsheet (xls)
- Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands vol.1 (book)
- Water Storage (book)
- Builder's Grey Water Guide (book)
If you are interested in policy, check out these pages:
Laura Allen is a founding member of Greywater Action and has spent a decade exploring low-tech, urban sustainable water solutions. She has a BA in Environmental Science, a teaching credential and a masters in education from New College of CA. She is a co-editor of the anthology Dam Nation: Dispatches from the Water Underground. Laura leads classes and workshops on urban ecological sanitation technologies of rainwater harvesting, greywater reuse and composting toilets. Laura also works with the Greywater Alliance to help remove institutional barriers to sustainable water use.
Andrea Lara grew up in the foothills of Northern California, the daughter of a plumber. After studying Neuroscience at Pitzer College, and teaching after-school science programs, she entered the plumbing trade. Witnessing the wanton waste of high end plumbing Andrea decided to put her plumbing skills to better use, and joined Greywater Action. She's led workshops and constructed greywater systems in the SF Bay Area, Los Angeles, and San Diego.
Ecological Systems Designer Art Ludwig has worked on water and wastewater systems, edible landscaping natural architecture, and improved building codes since 1980. His specialty is complex, integrated "systems of systems." Art has studied and worked in 22 different countries, consulted for the states of New York and New Mexico and California on water reuse policy, and given dozens of lectures and workshops. On Amazon.com in 2008, his book Water Storage (book) was the #1 plumbing book, and his book Create an Oasis with Grey Water (book) was the #1 landscape book.
Can't attend the workshop? Want more information? Check out our books and DVDs.
Laundry to Landscape (DVD) Instructs how to install a Laundry to Landscape system from start to finish. Play back Art's presentation any time you want!
Create an Oasis with Grey Water (book) Instructions on how to install many greywater systems, including Laundry to Landscape and Radical Plumbing.
Builder's Grey Water Guide (book) Information targeted to professional builders and inspectors.
Wild Water Wisdom (article) Understanding how nature processes and reuses "wastes" is integral to designing any ecological wastewater system.
More books, downloads and other information in our Catalog.
www.oasisdesign.net Copyright © Art Ludwig 1997–2015 Content Use Policy