Grey Water System Design and Construction
Workshop with Art Ludwig
October 2nd-5th 2003 Santa Fe, New Mexico
This one's past, but if you are interested in attending a future workshop, please sign up for our Free Newsletter, which will announce them.
There will possibly be water/greywater workshops in Oregon, Arizona, and New Mexico in Summer of 2004.
On this page:
Systems for reusing washwater in the landscape can provide superior treatment, save water, and save money.
With recent legal changes that allow Greywater systems to be installed without a permit application, New Mexico and Arizona are in the forefront of the Greywater revolution.
One of the biggest advantages of the new law is that building and landscape professionals can now legally install Greywater systems.
This workshop provides information and skills for design and installation of Greywater systems by plumbers, contractors and landscapers, as well as owner-builders.
The program consists of a late afternoon public lecture and a three day intensive:
Thursday October 2nd, 2003 5:30-6:30 pm Ecoversity, Santa Fe New Mexico $6 (free with registration for workshop...highly recommended for workshop participants)
Ecological Systems Designer Art Ludwig presents information on water systems for natural building, including:
- Key points of how wild natural water systems work
- What nature has to teach us about water system design
- Brief discussion of water supply systems for natural building, including rainwater harvesting
- Efficient use, including radical redesign of fixtures and cascading water through multiple uses
- Systems for beneficial reuse of water and nutrients in wastewater, including Greywater, and blackwater systems
Friday October 3nd, 2003 5:30-6:30 PM, Saturday Oct 4nd 1:30-5pm, Sunday Oct 5th 9 am-5 PM Ecoversity, Santa Fe New Mexico $140
Greywater guru Art Ludwig presents a three day workshop on design and construction of Greywater systems. The workshop is oriented towards building and landscaping professionals, and owner builders. It includes:
- Benefits of Greywater systems
- Getting clear on objectives
- Regulatory considerations
- Site characteristics
- Choosing a Greywater system
- Design of collection plumbing
- Design of distribution plumbing
- Irrigation requirements and plants for Greywater systems (with Melissa?)
- Designs for participant's projects
- Construction and/ or tours of a laundry only system and a branched drain system, design of participants systems, details TBA
- Bidding and business considerations for Greywater systems
Register on line or send a check for $140 to:
Attn: Registrar greywater course
2639 Agua Fria
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
By Phone 505.424.9797 ext. 1#
Registration will be limited to 20 people. Early registration is suggested, as the class is expected to fill.
Participants are strongly encouraged to prepare read the material suggested below before hand, and gather background information on a design they wish to do.
On construction days bring work clothes and tools; suggestions will be provided at the beginning of the course.
The more you've prepared for the workshop, the more we'll all get out of it. Since there is a lot of material to cover in a short time, it will be assumed that participants have already read this key background:
- Create an Oasis with Grey Water (book)
- Stub outs
- Site Evaluation Form
- Greywater Site Assessment/System Checklist (PDF) The last two items relate to information helpful for designing your particular system. Please write down and bring background information and plans for a system you'd like to build yourselfwith luck, your system context and design will get reviewed and improved in class.
Optional further reading:
- Principles of Ecological Design (article)
- Builder's Grey Water Guide (book)
- Wild Water Wisdom (article)
- Fecal coliform measurements
- Grey water policy center (New Mexico greywater law, suggested improvements)
- Common grey water mistakes
- Branched drain in indigenous community
- Manual grey water systems of Huehuetortuga
- Indoor grey water reuse
Ecological Systems Designer and Greywater Guru Art Ludwig has probably paid more attention to Greywater systems the past fourteen years than anyone else on the planet.
Hes written three books and numerous articles on Greywater systems, developed several new system designs, and consulted with New York and New Mexico on their Greywater laws. Hes also worked on water and wastewater systems in twenty two countries around the world.
www.oasisdesign.net Copyright © Art Ludwig 1997–2015 Content Use Policy