Getting Clear on Greywater:
Advantages of Nature-Inspired Water Systems
Lecture by Art Ludwig at the Water Conservation Showcase
4-5 pm Tuesday, May 25th, Pacific Energy Center, San Francisco California
Why pollute waterways with wastewater and nutrients, when they can irrigate and feed plants?
Reuse of greywater for irrigation is part of a fundamental solution to many ecological problems.
This presentation will explain the benefits of greywater reuse, and how plants and soil achieve such spectacularly high treatment levels.
Code issues and other limiting factors will be addressed, with special mention of the greywater regulation revolution in Arizona and New Mexico.
Strategies for realizing the immediate and future benefits of greywater in existing buildings and new construction will be explored.
Questions will follow the class.
To submit a question in advance, use this Feedback form
See the PG&E water conservation showcase web page.
- WCS Class handout (PDF, 65k)
- Grey Water Central
- Principles of Ecological Design (article)
- Create an Oasis with Grey Water (book)
- Branched Drain Grey Water Systems
- Builder's Grey Water Guide (book)
- Stub outs
- Greywater Site Assessment/System Checklist (PDF) The last two items relate to information helpful for designing your particular system. Please write down and bring background information and plans for a system you'd like to build yourselfwith luck, your system context and design will get reviewed and improved in class.
Optional further reading:
- Wild Water Wisdom (article)
- Fecal coliform measurements
- Grey water policy center (California and New Mexico greywater law, suggested improvements)
- Common grey water mistakes
- Branched drain in indigenous community
- Manual grey water systems of Huehuetortuga
- Indoor grey water reuse
Ecological Systems Designer and Greywater Guru Art Ludwig has probably paid more attention to Greywater systems the past fourteen years than just about anyone.
Hes written three books and numerous articles on Greywater systems, developed several new system designs, and consulted with New York and New Mexico on their Greywater laws. Hes also worked on water and wastewater systems in twenty two countries around the world.
www.oasisdesign.net Copyright © Art Ludwig 1997–2015 Content Use Policy