Earth and Orchard Toilet Plans
Earth and Orchard Toilets can be the most sanitary, cheapest, most ecological excreta management system for the right context. There's a lot of Oasis Design original work in these designs.
How to dig an orchard toilet/ how it works
- Beneficial microorganisms bio-degrade pathogens
- Plant roots take them up
- A tight lid excludes flies and other vectors
- The soil naturally absorbs odors
- When the hole is full, bury it and move to the next spot
Deluxe Orchard Toilet
With tiled masonry base and throne, casita for privacy/rain protection, fabricated by indigenous craftspeople in Michoacán, Mexico.
Orchard toilet, fancy, square, with throne. Casita made of strips of cocobolo (extremely durable, beautiful hardwood). Masonry base is three pieces, and can be lifted assembled with four people via handles.
Orchard toilet construction photos
Cast Asian-style Cornfield Toilet
Handwash water storage urn (sanitary handwash for earth toilet). Hose lowers, letting out a trickle of water (urn holds enough water for about 1,000 hand washes). Note ash, wood chips on side for flies, urine odor.
- Create an Oasis with Greywater-book
- Water testing-download
- Wild water wisdom-article
- Photos of Mexico past orchard toilet work [200 images] thanks to Lionila, Dora, and Amanda Sarkis for help on these
- Photos of current orchard toilet models [140 images] thanks to Betty Siemans, Ed Hachfeld, Michelle Logan, Barbara Wishengrad and Maya Shoemaker for help on these
- Orchard toilet drawings
- The Movie [partial draft]
- There's more info on toilets (in Spanish) in Maruata at the Crossroads (download)
We've added a Tip jar feature to the Oasis site to make it easy for those who appreciate our several hundred pages of free information to contribute to the maintenance and expansion of this body of free content.
The more people use the tip jar, the more of the thousands of pages of our unpublished original designs we'll be able to open source like this.
If you've saved tens of thousands of dollars on your construction projects, thousands of dollars on bicycle transportation over cars, had your life saved by our dengue fever information, or gotten some other significant benefit from our site and you don't need and books or downloads, please consider donating:
If there is a particular page or topic you want to support, please mention it in the comments field.
You choose the number of tips, in dollar increments...any credit card, pay pal, e check...
—The Oasis team
^ Top of page ^ Browse | Catalog
www.oasisdesign.net ©1997 - 2022 Oasis Design Content use policy